Sunday, October 12, 2008

Day 10: Angel Food

When I was first told about Angel Food Ministries, my reaction was that of snobbery. That is something for POOR people, not middle class people just trying to save a few bucks. I am the kind of person who donates to those in need, not someone who receives. I said as much to CT, who urged me to look into it closer. Apparently, my capitalist culture and my protestant upbringing had caused me to assume that anything that cheap had to be for those who could not do for themselves. I had confused a really good deal with a hand-out.

Bottom line, this service, usually provided through a church, is a place you can go to buy enough groceries for a family of four to live off of for one week (A family like CT and I could live off of it for two) for $30. $30?!?! Yes, $30. Each month the offering is different but always the same quality food and always as cheap. If you feel like spending more, you can add on other packages or even sponsor a family in need by buying one for them.

How can they do it? Without the overhead of a grocery or big box store, they buy the groceries in bulk and sell it at cost, passing the savings onto you at a 50% discount! Check it out for a location near you! http://www.angelfoodministries.com/

Thanks to Mandy for telling me about this fantastic service!!

No comments: