Sunday, October 5, 2008

Day 3: Freecycling

Hello, my name is Alyssa and I am addicted to freecycle. What is freecycle?! Only the coolest invention for the hopelessly cheap ever!!

How it works is, you sign up for an email list depending on what area you live in. Each area has a different list so you aren't driving all over the place trying to collect stuff. Then, the people on the list post stuff they are giving away for free and you reply to the email saying you want to pick up said free item. They then reply to you and give you the address. Most people will leave the item on their porch for easy pick-up.

The nice thing is, you have to give away as well. I like giving to others almost as much as getting, but I am a huge giver. I clean out all closets (except my husband's, that one is off limits) at least twice a year. I hate selling stuff, because selling is a bunch of work and you can get shafted, and Goodwill doesn't do pick up, so that takes a bunch of driving.

Free stuff I have got off Freecycle:
A recliner
A wooden toy train set
Two huge boxes of baby boy clothes
Huge box of clothes for winter for me
Toy airplane
Books
Assorted "female" stuff
Oil of Olay face lotion - unopened
Coffee
Home birthing kit (I was curious!)
5 boxes of hair color

The free stuff is great but what I really LOVE is the pick-up. The thrill of exploring new neighborhoods, the stealth of grabbing something off someone else's porch; I feel like a secret agent! What I do not like is when people make you ring the doorbell to collect the stuff. I feel cheap when they can see my face, and leave me standing at the front door like a begar, which of course I am. A great way to save money!

No comments: