Sunday, October 19, 2008

Day 19: Teamwork

When you are poor, or just trying to live that way, nothing helps more than having a partner by your side encouraging you all the way and keeping you on track. Why do you think so many homeless people have dogs?! So, having CT as my partner in this experience is invaluable. If not for him helping me stay the course, I would have quit this silly experiment long ago.

Surprisingly, he is not as supportive as I thought he would be. This sort of thing is right up his alley, as he has always been somewhat of a cheapskate. Besides, he gets "good" food twice a week from work, while I am eating sandwiches and the like 7 days a week. Instead though, it is I who am constantly reminding him of why we are doing this and why we can't have even the smallest meal from Whataburger on a Sunday afternoon. I feel that even a small slip will toss us head over heels from the wagon.

We are entering the zone of discomfort. The last two weeks of the first month are the hardest we have had. Even with the freeze on our account, we continue to see the balance dip below comfort level (house payment) and we are both getting antsy to buy something. Anything! Every day I come up with new needs. It is difficult to figure out which is an actual need and which is simply a desire to accumulate.

Something tells me buying the baby winter clothes is a necessity though. I will however be going to the Salvation Army to purchase them.

1 comment:

Mandy Chalman said...

The Goodwill in Hutto is FANTASTIC! They have tons of baby clothes and it is well organized.