Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Day 7: The Itch


Seven year itch? How about seven days! If I can just push through the next couple of days and not buy anything, I think I might be in the clear. I did buy groceries today, though that is totally within the parameters. I looked like a vegetarian when checking out. All I got was a bag of rice, veggies and fruit. The nice thing about using what you already have? All you have to buy on a weekly basis is the basics. You would think that buying groceries would satisfy the need to buy. Think again.

There is something else going on when we buy. It isn't need, it really isn't even desire. It is this thing that is inbred and indoctrinated into us that if something looks good, we should have it. It is our right as good Americans and good people to have that thing, as stupid as that thing may be.

The following is a list of things I really wanted to buy today and the thought process behind it:
-Liquid Woolie wash - I could even justify this because I have several pairs of longies that will eventually need cleaning, but they are clean now and technically I have wool wash, it is just in bar form and I hate the scent.
-A Firehouse Sub - This was CT's fault, all he had to do was mention it. Man those sandwiches are so good. Thankfully, I had already made slow-cooker ribs in the morning so I had NO excuse to go out for dinner.
-Bagshot Row Bamboo - (I do NOT need any more diapers) I have one of these diapers, for nighttime. This means it is absorbant but not cute. The store is now having a weekly photo contest. I figure, my chances of getting a free dipe go up if the diaper is cute. I decide that it doesn't matter if the diaper is cute, it only matters that the model is cute. I will still be sending her a picture. Wish me luck!
-Stamps glorious STAMPS! - I have been going to card making parties lately and even though I don't usually craft on my own, I am willing to start just to use these stamps. They are fun to order, it is fun to assemble them, it is fun to use them. Then I visited my dear neighbor, who made me realize I had no need to buy stamps, I can just use hers.

So you see, if I just stop and listen to why I am about to hit the paypal send button, more likely than not, I find that I don't really need the thing that I am buying.

1 comment:

Mandy Chalman said...

Hey, Chris and I are in "Extreme Save Mode" also. And we found a GREAT way to save money on groceries. Checkout www.angelfoodministries.com. You can buy enough groceries for two weeks for 30 dollars and pick it up locally. We have already done it once and it is totally awesome. It's a way for everyone to save money on groceries, you dont have to qualify or anything. Call me if you want more info. You can start eating meat again!!!