Friday, October 17, 2008

Day 14: Keep Austin Buying

So, I had a mommy group meeting today. It was at a coffee shop, but I went fully confident in my ability to resist the siren call of a fresh, hot, free trade cup of joe. I was wrong.

The problem (of course) is society. It feels weird NOT buying something in a place where everyone else is so cavalier in buying their scones and lattes. You feel like a slacker, a parasite, and scourge of the earth. Especially here where the "Keep Austin Weird" slogan is less a cute catch phrase and more a call to arms. The idea behind it is to keep Austin money in Austin businesses, and one can't support local business people unless they spend money in their establishments.

So I bought. It was tempting to allow myself more than necessary because I had a very good justification now, see above. They had really good stuff too; empenadas, scones, muffins and about 20 different types of coffee drinks. I settle for my tried and true: iced coffee, small. The baby munched cereal, I sipped my coffee, and the other hippy parents around me felt superior for having not wasted water that week by skipping their shower.

Is it just because I live in Round Rock or does South Congress have a funk to it!?

No comments: